BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Aug 08 2017 – Police are searching for two gunmen who shot and killed a 20-year-old youth and injured several others on Monday night that marred the ending of the annual Crop Over Festival here.
Attorney General, Adriel Brathwaite, said that the police investigations to date have revealed that Taried Junior Rock, was chased by the two gunmen during the Grand Kadooment climax on the Spring Garden Highway, on the outskirts of the capital on Monday night. At least 20 other people were injured.
“My information is that these two young men spotted this chap . . . opened fire on him with two firearms. He, in an attempt to evade them, ran onto Spring Garden and they continued shooting at him even though he was surrounded by lots of innocent people,” Brathwaite told the state-owned CBC radio.
He said, as a result of the indiscriminate shooting, “that’s how we ended up with so many unfortunate innocent people being shot because of the reckless behaviour displayed allegedly by these two young men yesterday”.
Brathwaite said up until the shooting incident, there had been very few incidents during the festival.
“From what I have been told, this Crop Over was primarily incident free, “he said, indicating that there were at least two or three incidents which the police had been able to deal with immediately.
He said the security forces would get all the assistance needed to deal with the surge in gun violence here.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CaribbeanNewsService/
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/CNewsService
Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/caribbeannewsservice/