President Donald Trump said Monday that he holds the Cuban government accountable for sonic attacks on American personnel at the embassy in Havana.
Trump told reporters during a Rose Garden news conference that he agrees with chief of staff John Kelly, who told reporters last week that the administration believes “the Cuban government could stop the attacks on our diplomats”.
“I do. I think Cuba knew about it, sure,” Trump said. I do believe Cuba’s responsible. I do believe that, and it’s a very unusual attack, as you know, but I do believe Cuba’s responsible, yes.”
In September, the Cuban government denied any responsibility for the sonic attack.
The U.S. government earlier this month ordered the departure of 15 officials from Cuba’s embassy in Washington, D.C., in response to what the State Department said was “Cuba’s failure to take appropriate steps to protect our diplomats.”
The State Department late last month pulled non-emergency personnel from the U.S. Embassy in Havana as a safety measure following a series of attacks the department believes targeted Americans.